Puma Press

The Student News Site of Northridge Academy High School

Puma Press

Puma Press

School Shootings Fueled by Mental Health Issues

Aaron Hernandez
Student in distress (Alex)

In this year alone, there have been four school shootings in the USA. In the year of 2023, there were 346 school shootings nationwide.These incidents raise the question, how is LAUSD able to prevent these types of catastrophes and what is the protocol for these probable and petrifying situations? What is our school, Northridge Academy High School, doing to secure the safety of our students? What would the protocol be if a student were to find themselves in this disturbing situation?

In order to answer these fervent questions, the Department of Homeland Security created a three-step protocol. The first step is to evacuate. During these events, be sure to have several escape routes in mind and ensure evacuation even if others refuse to comply. Try to help students along the way if possible or prevent students from going where the active shooter may be. If you happen to reach local law enforcement, make sure your hands are raised and visible to the officers and follow their instructions promptly. If law enforcement has not yet arrived, find a safe place and contact your local law enforcement.

Second, if you are in a circumstance where evacuation is not an option, find shelter or hide. It is important during this situation to find a place where the active shooter does not see you. Find a place that can also provide solid cover from where shots could be fired. If you find yourself in a classroom, be sure to lock the doors and help form a blockade consisting of heavy furniture with the help of your fellow peers. It is also important to be silent if the active shooter is near you. To secure the utmost discreteness, turn the lights off and close the blinds.

Step 3 should be a student’s last resort. If you can not hide or you can’t run and you are close to the active shooter. Your last resort is to attack or divert the active shooter. Although these steps may seem drastic there is a possibility of this kind of situation.

Fortunately Our school has not experienced anything like this before. However, we can do more than just prepare individually. We need to prevent it. A 2002 study by US Department of Education identified 69% of those committing violent acts as between the ages of 10- 19. It also reported 78% of school shooters had a history of suicide attempts or suicidal ideals. Most of these attackers have a history of having bad mental health. Does our school have a good mental health awareness for our students? Northridge Academy’s Psychiatric Social Worker (PSW) the head of Mental health of our school, Mr. Choi provides some answers on how to keep us safe. He states, ” I wish we could do more to promote mental health awareness.” He further says “Although we talk about mental health in advisories and health class we need more ways of promoting mental health awareness. I think if we keep adding the focus of mental health in our classrooms, our everyday conversations, our digital communication, and creating relevant psychological education on campus, we will improve mental health awareness at Northridge Academy High School.”

Lastly, If you or anyone you know is attempting to hurt themselves or hurt those around them please go to a trusted adult. Mr Choi says encourages students to talk to a teacher, counselor, administrator, or some staff member. This is the first step. It provides protection for people in an unsafe environment. Helping them connect to people and resources that can help them. Mr Choi also provides advice for complex situations like depression, self harm and inflicting harm. “Depression is a complex mental health condition, and having a conversation with a medical professional, counselor, or social worker can be helpful to learn more about what might be going on, and how to get connected to supports that may help.”  Using these methods will help improve mental health and help individuals make healthier goals.

If you or anyone you know are going through depression, inflicting self harm, or threatening to hurt others, call hotlines such as the Suicide Prevention Hotline (988) or Teenline (800-852-8336).  I know these problems can be hard to discuss, but it’s important that we as a society take our mental health into serious consideration to avoid any unwanted consequences.

Donate to Puma Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Northridge Academy High School and other school journalism programs nationwide. Your contribution will allow SNO to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.