Puma Press

The Student News Site of Northridge Academy High School

Puma Press

Puma Press

Photos of protestors in front of NAHS
Features
Castro departure brings protests
Asim Shariff and Cyrus MoralesJune 24, 2024

As the school year has wrapped up, students, faculty, and staff were all struck with the sudden news- that three of our administration members...

Administrators Not Returning, New Team Coming
News
Principal Castro, VPs Oh and Frnzyan will not be returning for 2024-2025 year
Sean Hunt and Asim ShariffJune 12, 2024

Our beloved administration team that includes Assistant Principal Oh, Assistant Principal Frnzyan, and Principal Castro will not be returning...

Proud Principal Castro presenting cake to the faculty, celebrating the honor.
News
NAHS Becomes California Distinguished School
Anaiah Greene, Staff Journalist • June 11, 2024

On February 29th (Leap Day), Northridge Academy was named as a 2024 California Distinguished School. Schools were selected by analyzing data...

Pictured: Sophomores Justine Relona, Szaffi Fejes, Natalie Gutierrez, and Krishna Rivera.
Opinion
A Guide to Beating That Summertime Sadness
Olivia Munoz, Page Editor • June 9, 2024

As the school year comes to a close, students prepare for the next few months of vacation. For many, this is the best time of the year; almost...

NAHS Says Goodbye to Faculty

As the students are nearing the end of the 2024 school year and seniors are preparing for their future after high school. Some faculty members will sadly be leaving this year, including teachers Laurie Nelson, Alonso Martinez, Calvin Chan, and paraprofessional Lisa Hanzlik.

Ms. Nelson is a beloved history teacher here at NAHS who has worked here for 18 years. She has decided to enter a new stage of her life in retirement. Nelson has loved all her years of teaching and made many connections and was an influential teacher to the students. While retired, she plans to travel around the world. Going across the United States is her first step and her plans include going to Boston and New York to see her kids and then Washington. Next she will journey to different countries like Italy.  

Math teacher Mr. Martinez is another teacher who will not be back at Northridge Academy next year. He states his own reasons for leaving Northridge Academy to be “changing paths in his career”. He describes his years as very close knit, he especially maintains a good connection with the Class of 2024 students as well as the NAHS staff and administration whom he characterizes as being extremely friendly, welcoming, and supportive. Students describe him as funny, genuine, kind, laid back. In the future, he plans to delve into a career in data analytics however he still hopes to work with youth outside of a classroom setting.

The last teacher who is leaving this year is Mr. Chan. He also teaches math and, additionally, computer science and AP computer science.  He is leaving to go back to work at his old job as an IT Project Manager at the Getty Museum. Chan states that he is going back to the Getty because he will get flexibility so he can support his aging parents. He enjoyed teaching here at Northridge Academy and will continue to work as a teacher again in the future possibly. 

Also leaving NAHS are paraprofessional Lisa Hanzlik and long term substitute PE teacher Pablo Garcia. 

These members of the faculty have all made a massive impact and contribution to our community at Northridge Academy High School. Their legacy will be seen through the influence they had on students by teaching, advising, and supporting them throughout high school. We all wish them good luck on their future goals and endeavors in life.

Donate to Puma Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Northridge Academy High School and other school journalism programs nationwide. Your contribution will allow SNO to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.