Puma Press

The Student News Site of Northridge Academy High School

Puma Press

Puma Press

Proud Principal Castro presenting cake to the faculty, celebrating the honor.
News
NAHS Becomes California Distinguished School
Anaiah Greene, Staff Journalist • June 11, 2024

On February 29th (Leap Day), Northridge Academy was named as a 2024 California Distinguished School. Schools were selected by analyzing data...

Pictured: Sophomores Justine Relona, Szaffi Fejes, Natalie Gutierrez, and Krishna Rivera.
Opinion
A Guide to Beating That Summertime Sadness
Olivia Munoz, Page Editor • June 9, 2024

As the school year comes to a close, students prepare for the next few months of vacation. For many, this is the best time of the year; almost...

Look for the signs.
Impacting
Teenage Dating Violence
Love is Not Abuse
Anaiah Greene, Staff Journalist • June 9, 2024
Teenage Dating Violence is a common problem and is very serious, the number of cases continues to rise. So why isn't it talked about enough?
Social Studies teacher Laurie Nelson
News
NAHS Says Goodbye to Faculty
Johann Anderson and Josiah AndersonJune 7, 2024

As the students are nearing the end of the 2024 school year and seniors are preparing for their future after high school. Some faculty members...

Pictured%3A+Sophomores+Justine+Relona%2C+Szaffi+Fejes%2C+Natalie+Gutierrez%2C+and+Krishna+Rivera.+
Olivia Munoz

As the school year comes to a close, students prepare for the next few months of vacation. For many, this is the best time of the year; almost two months of sleeping in, no school, and free rein to do almost anything they want. A dream come true. However, for many others like myself, this also means the return of a certain feeling that can only be described as “summertime sadness”. 

There can be many causes for this feeling, but most often it leaves you feeling depressed, tired, and without any motivation to do much else but lay in bed and rot all day. According to a WebMD article, summertime sadness can be caused by disorders, changes to your daily schedule, and the general expectations of maximizing your time as much as possible. Maybe all the pressure of having to enjoy your time as much as possible leaves you feeling like this, or maybe it’s the repressive heat that makes you lethargic and tired. Whatever the cause of this feeling, there are several different ways to overcome this feeling and enjoy your summer without the negativity. 

Make Plans With Friends

This may sound obvious, but making plans with your friends (and sticking to them!) can help pick you out of the slump you may be in. Keeping in touch with your friends and setting aside specific days to go and hang out can give you something to look forward to, and offer some motivation and direction. 

Go Outside and Touch Grass 

Going outside and taking a walk by yourself, or just sitting on your lawn or backyard and soaking in the sun is proven to improve your mood, according to Healthline. Sitting alone in nature without distractions can help clear your mind and reduce the brain fog you may be experiencing. 

Get Off Your Phone

This also sounds kind of obvious, but using your phone or other devices constantly can reduce your mood and make you feel worse, according to the National Library of Medicine. Taking breaks and being with your family or even picking up a book are some alternatives to going on your phone. Even just setting it down and taking a moment to be mindful can help. 

Ultimately, these tips can be helpful if you find yourself bored, without motivation, and feeling depressed. However, if you have struggled with these feelings for a while and find them to be persistent all year round, it’s best to stick to the advice of a medical professional and seek help from the adults around you. 

Donate to Puma Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Northridge Academy High School and other school journalism programs nationwide. Your contribution will allow SNO to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.