Puma Press

The Student News Site of Northridge Academy High School

Puma Press

Puma Press

Senioritis: Navigating the Final Stretch of High School

As the spring semester starts and the idea of freedom begins, high school seniors find themselves battling an illness: senioritis. This illness causes a lack of motivation and longing at the end of their senior year, affecting students as they navigate the final stretch of their high school careers. Senioritis often starts with a subtle shift in priorities and slowly escalates to a full-blown epidemic within senior classes. The symptoms include declining grades, missed deadlines, and a lack of motivation toward academics. For many students, college acceptance letters and future independence can overshadow the importance of maintaining focus on their studies.

One of the most significant effects of senioritis is its impact on academic performance. Students who once excelled in their classes may find themselves struggling to find the motivation to complete assignments or study for exams. This decline in academic performance can have consequences outside the high school classroom, potentially jeopardizing college acceptances or scholarships.

This can be proved by Dayhani Zamora’s experience, “Senior year has made me lose focus on my grades and I’ve had less interest in completing my assignments.” But senioritis doesn’t affect only academics; its effects can spread to every aspect of a student’s life. Extracurricular activities may lose their importance as seniors prioritize socializing with friends or planning for post-graduation adventures.

Diego Freitas stated, “I would rather be hanging with my friends than doing homework, I am ready to graduate already.” Relationships with teachers and peers may suffer as students disconnect from classroom discussions and group projects.

Despite its negative effects, senioritis is not incurable. With awareness and measures taken to reduce it, students can reduce the impact of senioritis and finish their high school careers on a good note. Setting realistic goals, and maintaining open communication with teachers and guidance counselors, can all help students stay on track and overcome the temptation to give in to senioritis. There is tutoring available every day after school in the teacher’s lounge for students to get the help they need to improve their grades for the 20-week report card.

As the final days of high school draw near, seniors need to remain strong in the face of senioritis. By staying focused and maintaining a healthy balance between academics and friends, seniors can navigate the challenges of senioritis and become stronger as they start the next chapter of their lives.

Donate to Puma Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Northridge Academy High School and other school journalism programs nationwide. Your contribution will allow SNO to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.