Puma Press

The Student News Site of Northridge Academy High School

Puma Press

Puma Press

Ton of New Books for Library

Natalie Gutierrez
Diego Carreon and Miguel Coronado labeling new books.

The NAHS Library just got a “refresh” with brand new books, lots of them.  If you were wanting to read but just could not find the right book, your luck just may have changed.  The District was able to provide libraries in LAUSD schools with a one time special budget. Our school got $60,000 for new  books and Mr. Kent, our school librarian, has been putting that money to use.

Mr. Kent and his team of students have decided to opt for new titles  because they  found in his their  research that the data suggests kids do not read all three books in a series and instead only read one book. This way the library will have plenty of stand-alones for those who do not find series books appealing.

New Books (Natalie Gutierrez)

The library will now have new Manga for all of you anime lovers. This library boost includes  the Goosebumps collection  in case you’re into horror. In the video game related books are the Halo and Five Nights at Freddy’s books. If you are looking to expand your languages, check out the many new Spanish books. Not only will there be new books to expand your knowledge on a language but also new Christianity books joining the identity section. There will be more  sports fiction for anybody who is into sports.

Fall and winter seem the perfect time for love in the air. Why not embrace that love with our new upcoming section, Love Island. Love Island will be a display found in the middle of the library with new shelves for romance.  The romance section  will not be just typical romance books, it will have characters from all communities and identities. This section will diversify the library romance books to include more of every culture so nobody feels left out. Check it out if you’re looking to snuggle up in the winter time with a perfect romance book. All the new collections and books will require time to be processed before they will be on the shelves. So Mr. Kent is hoping students will be patient.

Mr.Kent and his team are not only purchasing new books but they are weeding out old ones. They  have been hard at work to change the library into a new and improved library.  Mr. Kent said, “My team and I are working diligently to pick interesting and diverse books and we hope the student body appreciates our choices”  Mr. Kent has up to December 15 to spend the money so here is your chance to leave a recommendation for your dream book. No inappropriate books will be accepted. Don’t worry the old books will not be forgotten about, instead look out this spring because there will be a big giveaway by the library, giving away the old books.

Donate to Puma Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Northridge Academy High School and other school journalism programs nationwide. Your contribution will allow SNO to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.