Puma Press

The Student News Site of Northridge Academy High School

Puma Press

Puma Press

Photos of protestors in front of NAHS
Features
Castro departure brings protests
Asim Shariff and Cyrus MoralesJune 24, 2024

As the school year has wrapped up, students, faculty, and staff were all struck with the sudden news- that three of our administration members...

Administrators Not Returning, New Team Coming
News
Principal Castro, VPs Oh and Frnzyan will not be returning for 2024-2025 year
Sean Hunt and Asim ShariffJune 12, 2024

Our beloved administration team that includes Assistant Principal Oh, Assistant Principal Frnzyan, and Principal Castro will not be returning...

Proud Principal Castro presenting cake to the faculty, celebrating the honor.
News
NAHS Becomes California Distinguished School
Anaiah Greene, Staff Journalist • June 11, 2024

On February 29th (Leap Day), Northridge Academy was named as a 2024 California Distinguished School. Schools were selected by analyzing data...

Pictured: Sophomores Justine Relona, Szaffi Fejes, Natalie Gutierrez, and Krishna Rivera.
Opinion
A Guide to Beating That Summertime Sadness
Olivia Munoz, Page Editor • June 9, 2024

As the school year comes to a close, students prepare for the next few months of vacation. For many, this is the best time of the year; almost...

Two Teacher Vacancies Filled as Spring Term Launches

New+Teachers%21
Angelina Lyng
New Teachers!

It is with great pleasure that we embrace two more faculty members this semester: Ms. Jasmine Kern, co-teacher, and Ms. Chloe Campbell, who has recently become a certificated English teacher after student teaching for Ms. Duran last year. We asked both of them a few questions:

Ms. Kern (Angelina Lyng)

Ms. Kern, Co-Teacher, Room 207 

Question: What influenced you to be a teacher?
Answer: My love for education influenced me to be a teacher, as well as the multiple family members who are also educators.

Q: What is your strongest asset?
A: I would consider my strongest asset to be my ability to relate and create connections with my students.

Q: What do you know about our school that you would consider a strength?
A: The collaboration among faculty members is a huge strength of this school.

Q: What made you want to work at NAHS?

A: I appreciated the school culture that boasts inclusivity.

Q: What do you consider the most important reason(s) for you, personally, to become a teacher?
A: My love for education and creativity. I want to make a difference in the lives of my students.

Q: What do you like about working with students?
A: Every student is an individual that I get to learn about and from.

Q: What has been your experience in working with students of color? LGBTQ students?
A: This is my first experience as an educator, however being both Filipino-American and a member of the LGBTQ+ community myself, I feel I have a lot of understanding and connection to working with these communities.

Q: How do you keep yourself organized?
A: I keep myself organized by making my routine fun and aesthetically pleasing.

Q: How do you develop a positive relationship with students in individual teaching?
A: I do my best to develop positive relationships by being understanding of their individual needs. Everyone has their own learning needs and styles that I want to both encourage and expand upon.

Q: Any other things that would help NAHS know more about you?
A: I am so excited to be here and I look forward to growing with you all.

Ms. Campbell (Angelina Lyng)

Ms. Campbell, English Teacher, Room 207

Q: What influenced you to be a teacher?
A: I have always loved reading and writing. I also have dyslexia, so I had to take speech classes when I was younger. I started reading to improve my dyslexia and it was life-changing. Because of this, English quickly grew dear to me.

Q: What is your strongest asset?
A: I hold a lot of creativity and passion and I am enthusiastic about what I do in life.

A: The culture of this school is strong and there is a lot of inclusivity and awareness. NAHS definitely feels very connected.

Q: What made you want to work at NAHS?
A: I first started out at NAHS as a student teacher for Ms. Duran and as I watched her teach, she quickly became one of my biggest inspirations to become a teacher.

A: I believe in fostering the belief in kids that they are capable of more than what they think and that means a lot to me. I hope that even if they don’t grow to love English as much as I do, they at least grow an admiration for it.

A: I believe that you can build bonds with students, not just academically but on an emotional level, as well. The connection with students is the best part for me.

A: As a pansexual woman, I love working with students of all identities and ethnicities. It broadens my way of looking at students and the world around them.

Q: How do you keep yourself organized?
A: Technology and coffee are my best friends.

A: I meet with students one-on-one. If I have the feeling individual students may be affected by something, whether that be through their academic performance or simply by their demeanor, I will always let them know that they can talk to me (if they are comfortable doing so). These conversations don’t always have to be something regarding a negative manner, but rather something that is more casual.

A: If students ever want to talk about video games, Manga, painting, and things alike, I am more than willing to converse with them about said things.

Donate to Puma Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Northridge Academy High School and other school journalism programs nationwide. Your contribution will allow SNO to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.