Puma Press

The Student News Site of Northridge Academy High School

Puma Press

Puma Press

Participation in School Events, What’s the problem? Decoding Student Apathy

Participation in School Events, Whats the problem? Decoding Student Apathy

Question:  why don’t students participate in school events? The answer may surprise you. According to students, there are a plethora of reasons they give. Students have come up with a multitude of reasons why this issue has occurred.

The most common answer in, not only our school, but the greater community and the way it has evolved post-Covid is social anxiety and discomfort in large social settings. Attending events with a large crowd can be overwhelming for some individuals, leading them to avoid such situations.

Another massive roadblock for students going to events is economic incentives. If attendance at school events involves costs such as tickets, transportation, or related expenses, some students may be unable to participate due to financial constraints. Schools can explore options for reducing or eliminating costs, ensuring that financial considerations do not impede student engagement. Advertising among the younger grades has fallen short and made other classes either unaware that they were allowed to attend or unaware that the event existed in the first place.

The third prevalent factor contributing to diminished student participation in school events is the increasingly hectic nature of modern student life. Juggling demanding academic schedules, extracurricular commitments, part-time jobs, and personal responsibilities leaves students with limited time and energy for additional activities. Schools need to be mindful of these competing priorities when planning events.

To address these issues, schools can work on creating a more inclusive and engaging ` environment, understanding the diverse interests of their student body, and improving communication strategies to keep students informed about upcoming events. Additionally, considering flexible scheduling and exploring ways to make events more accessible may contribute to increased attendance.

Donate to Puma Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Northridge Academy High School and other school journalism programs nationwide. Your contribution will allow SNO to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.