Puma Press

The Student News Site of Northridge Academy High School

Puma Press

Puma Press

Photos of protestors in front of NAHS
Features
Castro departure brings protests
Asim Shariff and Cyrus MoralesJune 24, 2024

As the school year has wrapped up, students, faculty, and staff were all struck with the sudden news- that three of our administration members...

Administrators Not Returning, New Team Coming
News
Principal Castro, VPs Oh and Frnzyan will not be returning for 2024-2025 year
Sean Hunt and Asim ShariffJune 12, 2024

Our beloved administration team that includes Assistant Principal Oh, Assistant Principal Frnzyan, and Principal Castro will not be returning...

Proud Principal Castro presenting cake to the faculty, celebrating the honor.
News
NAHS Becomes California Distinguished School
Anaiah Greene, Staff Journalist • June 11, 2024

On February 29th (Leap Day), Northridge Academy was named as a 2024 California Distinguished School. Schools were selected by analyzing data...

Pictured: Sophomores Justine Relona, Szaffi Fejes, Natalie Gutierrez, and Krishna Rivera.
Opinion
A Guide to Beating That Summertime Sadness
Olivia Munoz, Page Editor • June 9, 2024

As the school year comes to a close, students prepare for the next few months of vacation. For many, this is the best time of the year; almost...

New Wellness Center to Open in Spring

Wellness+Center+Beginning+
Joseph Adwani
Wellness Center Beginning

An interview with Principal Castro reveals details of a new Wellness Center at NAHS. Castro got the inspiration for this Wellness Center from our academic counselor Ms. Giron and our PSW counselor Mr. Choi when visiting La Habra High School. After seeing their room and the effect on La Habra students, she decided it was important for Northridge Academy to do the same. After thorough research on the increasing anxiety in students, she knew that a place for self-regulation (a phrase coined by Albert Bandura to refer to “the ability for one to access one’s own emotions”) and calming was a vital thing NAHS needed. Of course, she knew she couldn’t just build a new room so she decided the best course would be to use the mostly unused Library Resource Center (also known as the Library Lab)  and convert it into a charming, wellness center.

Castro plans to spend around eight thousand dollars and have the room prepared for use by next semester. When asked about delays “There always is delays with LAUSD ”. The funds will be spent on the room to fill it with nice chairs, speakers for music and nature sounds, pleasant picture frames/paintings, stuffed animals, an essential oil diffuser, and many other items to make the students feel as relaxed as possible. The purpose of this room is to have a space to decompress, relax, and relieve anxiety, usually right before a test or presentation, students will be able to ask their teachers to go to the counselors at which point their counselor can advise them to go up to the Wellness Center. The room will have a four-student maximum assuring the room is quiet and relaxed, and will maintain a non-crowded environment. It will be open during school hours (8:30 AM-3:33 PM). Students will be able to send in suggestions for additions and ideas once it is complete.

Donate to Puma Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Northridge Academy High School and other school journalism programs nationwide. Your contribution will allow SNO to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.